“I’ve tasted better and healthier food in my days”; reply of most elders when you dine with them at restaurant. What if you get the same taste at some restaurants even now in the midst of instantaneous way of life? Yes, we are bring you the most famous restaurants in Chennai, which serves yummy authentic South Indian food with the very same taste from the early 1990s. Though many of these restaurants haven’t changed any of their benches and desks from the 90s, thet are still the Best Places to Eat in Chennai for that perfect South Indian Lunch or Dinner.
1. Rayar’s Mess — Located in a small lanes of mylapore, Rayer’s Mess is famous for its south indian style breakfast, specially for their pongal and vadai. It is also said that this place was favorite spot of famous former actor and chief minister M. G. Ramachandran. This place is usually crowded for their breakfast, but the food here is certainly worth the wait.
What to Eat: Idli, Filter Kaapi, Pongal and Vada
Address: 31, Arundale Street, Mylapore, Chennai
2. Nair mess — An iconic non vegetarian hotel from 1960s, Nair mess is located in Triplicane. It’s a favorite place for families for lunch. We recommend visiting the place early as it is always full during the peak hours. Their fish fry, omelette and chicken chukka is a must try here.
Address: 22, Mohammed Abdullah 2nd Street, Opposite Chepauk Stadium, Chepauk, Triplicane, Chennai
3. Mylai Karpagambal Mess : Located near the famous Kapaleeshwar temple, this place attracts the locals since 1953. Don’t be surprised if you see 100 people waiting to get their turn while looking at your table to get free. Potato Podimas, Beans usili, Lemon and Pineapple Rasam are some of their specialties.
Address: 20, East Mada Street, Mylapore, Chennai.
4. Kalathi Newspaper Mart : is a small place and now a brand built around the ROSE MILK. This place has a long waiting every day for the famous Rose Milk. Mani, a retired bank manager and his cousin Kumar, has been running this place for several decades.
Address— 27, S Mada Street, Mylapore, Chennai.
5. Seena Bhai Tiffin Centre : Set dosas with extra amount of podi and ghee attracts people to this place…the stall itself invites you. The crispy set Dosa and Podi Onion Uthappam is a must try here.
Address— 51/105, N.S.C Bose Road, Opposite khazanchi jewellers Sowcarpet, Chennai
Do you know any Legendary Place in Chennai? Let us know in the comments below or drop us a message on Instagram @MyYellowPlate.
Article By: Sowndharya Dharshini